The coastal liquid-bulk tanker Alaska Standard (later renamed Sagamore),
was launched in 1959 by Albina Engine and Machine Works of Portland,
Oregon, for the Standard Oil Company of California.
The ship was
constructed to continue the duties of its predecessor, the first Alaska Standard,
which was built in 1923. For 35 years, the earlier vessel supplied
fuel to extremely remote towns and villages located along Alaska’s
rugged coast, as well as to the camps of miners, trappers, and
fishermen. The second Alaska Standard was designed by L. C.
Norgaard & Associates of San Francisco, a company that was
originally founded as a repair yard in 1904.
Alaska Standard (later Sagamore) was 255 feet in overall length, 37 feet longer than the first Alaska Standard. The Alaska Standard
was a one-off design and had no sister ships. It was built for a
specific service that could be handled by one ship, and performed its
work successfully for almost three decades.
Alaska Standard was sold to Sealift Tankers, Inc. on August 26, 1986 and renamed Sagamore. It entered the Maritime Administration’s Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet sometime on October 20, 1987.
The Maritime Administration's National Register Eligibility Assessment and the National Park Service's HAER survey for Sagamore, both available in the Documents section, contain detailed histories of the vessel.
Vessel Name History
No Mission for this vessel
Completed by Albina Engine Works
Ship Name Change
Ship ALASKA STANDARD changes name to SAGAMORE
ex ALASKA STANDARD, Sealift Inc.
Entered Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet
Vessel departed Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet under a scrap services contract
Vessel dismantlement complete
No documents for this vessel
No ship wreck information for this vessel