USS General Edwin D. Patrick, originally named Admiral C. F. Hughes
(AP-124), was the third and final P2 “Admiral” type troopship in the
Maritime Administration’s inventory. It was completed late in the war,
although it saw some service transporting troops during World War II.
The Admiral C.F. Hughes was reacquired by the Navy from the Army Transport Service, renamed General Edwin D. Patrick
in March of 1950, and assigned to the Military Sea Transportation
Service. Manned by a civilian crew, it operated in the Pacific out of
General Patrick carried troops and supplies to
American bases in Japan, Korea, Okinawa, the Marianas, and the
Philippines, making more than two dozen round-trip voyages to the Far
East while supporting the war effort in KoreaGeneral Edwin D. Patrick
received three battle stars for Korean War service. After the armistice in
Korea, the vessel continued transport operations in the Western Pacific,
and between 1953 and 1965 steamed to the East Asia some 110 times to
provide American bases with personnel and supplies.
Between 1965 and 1966, General Patrick predominantly operated in the Western Pacific, supporting the forces in Southeast Asia. After an overhaul early in 1967, the transport was placed in ready reserve status and relocated to the Maritime Administration’s Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet.
The General Patrick was withdrawn from the fleet on April 15, 2010 for dismantlement, which was completed on January 25, 2011.
The National Park Service completed a HAER survey of General Edwin D. Patrick which contains a detailed history of the ship. That report can be found in the Documents section.
Vessel Name History
No Mission for this vessel
Scrap Services Contract
"Scrap services contract awarded to ESCO Marine of Brownsville, TX."