General Edwin D. Patrick (AP-124) (Disposed)
The General Edwin D. Patrick, originally named Admiral C. F. Hughes (AP-124), is the third and final P2 “Admiral” type troopship in the Maritime Administration’s inventory. It was completed late in the war, although it saw some service transporting troops during World War II. The Admiral C.F. Hughes was reacquired by the Navy from the Army Transport Service and renamed General Edwin D. Patrick in March of 1950 and assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service. Manned by a civilian crew, it operated in the Pacific out of San Francisco. The Patrick carried troops and supplies to American bases in Japan, Korea, Okinawa, the Marianas, and the Philippines, making more than two dozen round-trip voyages to the Far East while supporting the war effort in Korea. After the armistice in Korea, the vessel continued transport operations in the Western Pacific, and between 1953 and 1965 steamed to the East Asia some 110 times to provide American bases with personnel and supplies. Between 1965 and 1966, the General Patrick predominantly operated in the Western Pacific, supporting the forces in Southeast Asia. General Edwin D. Patrick received three battle stars for Korean War service. After an overhaul early in 1967, the transport was placed in ready reserve status and relocated to the Maritime Administration’s Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet.
The General Patrick was withdrawn from the fleet on April 15, 2010 and is currently in Brownsville, Texas being recycled.