USS Hoga (YT-146) (Custody ship)
The USS Hoga was commissioned in 1941 as a Navy yard tug. The vessel was assigned to the Pearl Harbor district and was at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked by the Japanese on December 7, 1942. During the attack, Hoga supported several vessels before assisting in the intentional grounding of the USS Nevada (BB-36) to prevent the disabled ship from blocking the harbor mouth. Hoga then fought fires on the Nevada, USS Maryland (BB-46), and USS Tennessee (BB-43). The tug then spent nearly three days continuously fighting fires on the USS Arizona (BB-39). Hoga remained on active duty in Pearl Harbor for the remainder of World War II. In 1948, the Navy loaned the vessel to the City of Oakland, for use by the city as a fire boat. Hoga was reconditioned for its new duties and spent the next four decades as the port’s fire boat. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989, and was returned to the Navy in 1994 before being deactivated in 1996.