USS Kawishiwi (ex-AO-146) (T-AO-146) (Non-retention)
The USS Kawishiwi was launched on December 11, 1954 and was commissioned on July 6, 1955. Kawishiwi arrived at its home port of Long Beach, California on December 8, 1955. The Kawishiwi spent the next year replenishing ships of the U.S. Navy’s Seventh Fleet serving in East and Southeast Asia. On January 21, 1958, Kawishiwi arrived at its new home port, Pearl Harbor. The ship spent most of its career replenishing ships of the U.S. Navy’s Seventh fleet in East and Southeast Asia, which included replenishing ships during the Vietnam War. The ship returned to Pearl Harbor on July 15, 1966. Kawishiwi also served as part of the fleet that was on duty during the National Aeronautics and Space Agency’s (NASA) Gemini 10, 11, and 12, and the Apollo 13, and 15 space flights from 1966-1971. The ship was turned over to the Navy’s Military Sealift Command on October 10, 1979 and was designated USNS Kawishiwi (T-AO-146). Kawishiwi entered the Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet for final disposition on September 16, 1992.